Go beyond conventional energy audits and find savings through advanced heat recovery techniques for complex industrial facilities.
Using RETScreen® Expert software to tackle hands-on case studies, in this 2-day course, building/facility operators, equipment/service providers, and clean energy proponents will learn:
- More about the capabilities and costs of clean energy technologies ranging from solar photovoltaics through efficient building technologies.
- How to do a solid financial analysis of a proposed clean energy project, including sensitivity and risk analysis
- How to determine the most cost-effective clean energy options
- How to track ongoing energy consumption or production for a building, industrial operation, or green power project, using linear regression, CUSUM, and measurement and verification techniques
- How to follow the performance of a portfolio of facilities
Case study topics selected from:
- Feasibility of chiller or boiler retrofits
- Feasibility of LED lighting upgrade
- Feasibility of using variable speed drive for motors/pumps
- Feasibility of building envelope improvements
- Feasibility of combined heat and power projects
- Feasibility of residential and utility-scale grid-tied photovoltaic projects
- Feasibility of grid-tied wind project
- Feasibility of solar air or water heating
- Performance analysis of natural gas consumption before and after boiler upgrade
- Performance analysis of electricity consumption before and after VFD installation on pump motor
- Performance analysis of photovoltaic system
- Multivariate performance analysis of electricity consumption in an industrial facility
- Multivariate performance analysis of solar project (heating or PV)
- Analysis of a portfolio of buildings
- Analysis of a portfolio of photovoltaic projects
- Other projects of interest to participants
Venue and Time:
8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
3608-33 Street N.W. Calgary, Alberta T2L2A6 Transit: LRT Brentwood Station
Parking: Free parking at the front of the building and paid parking along the road directly in front of the building
Included with course:
- Lunch & coffee
- 3-month subscription to RETScreen Expert, a value of $225
- Assistance following course
- Certificate of completion (14 hours of professional development)
To bring to the course:
Laptop running Windows with RETScreen Expert installed (download link and license will be sent)
$795 plus GST
minus applicable incentives worth up to $385
Training incentives available:
- $150 off for Alberta residents (Energy Efficiency Alberta): Incentives are available to residents of Alberta to learn new skills and develop their technical capacity across a variety of subjects in energy efficiency. Attendees of selected RER Energy Inc. courses will receive up to 20% off, with the incentive being applied directly at the time of course registration.
- $80 off for E Pro Network members: You may be eligible for an additional incentive from Energy Efficiency Alberta; email email@example.com to find out.
- $75 off for members of Decentralised Energy Canada (DEC): RER Energy offers this discount to DEC members only. Find out more about DEC membership benefits.
- $80 off when you register for INTEGRATION: Register for both INTEGRATION and RETScreen training and receive an additional $80 off the RETScreen course and $150 off the INTEGRATION course.
Michael Ross has been teaching RETScreen courses since 2001. In addition, he has developed many case studies, contributed to the RETScreen e-Textbook, supplied input cost data for RETScreen Expert, and validated various RETScreen releases. He developed many of the training videos on NRCan's RETScreen Youtube channel. He has taught RETScreen courses, in both English and French, across Canada, and in the USA, France, Ecuador, Mali, Morocco, Somalia, and Zambia, reaching well over a thousand people. Michael has been working in the fields of renewable energy and energy efficiency since 1995, including employment with NRCan’s photovoltaic research laboratory, a wind energy consulting firm, and the Helsinki University of Technology (Aalto University) in Finland. Since 2003 he has been principal of RER Energy Inc. Michael holds a Bachelor of Applied Sciences degree (Systems Design Engineering) from the University of Waterloo.